Monday, June 29, 2015

The Great Wall and The Forbidden City: June 10th

This day did not start out well for me. I woke with a temp of over 103 degrees. I didn't feel terrible but I knew something was going on to cause my temp to rise like that. At this point I was panicking. I know that I am a mom myself and a grown woman, but I quickly sent a message to my mom to Skype to help me determine what to do. I needed an antibiotic quickly. Luckily she received my message and did Skype call me within a matter of minutes. She suggested that I call Holt to see what they could do to help me out. Then she played the mom card and also suggested that I stay in the hotel for the day. I did not like this advice but immediately knew she was right. As soon as we hung up I gathered the information to call call Holt in Beijing. There was a contact person number and the Holt office number. One went through but no one answered. The other number didn't seem to work. At that point I emailed all the Holt people we had worked with to see what they could do to help. In the meantime my mother in law came to the rescue! She had brought an antibiotic for just in case and allowed me to take it. Seriously, I think she saved me! At that point I still didn't know what to do about the day. I knew I needed rest but I hated missing any thing on the trip. I may have seen these things before but I had never seen them with Ava. I was really struggling. I also knew that I had to beat whatever was happening to my body because soon I would have 2 little girls to run after and that would take all my energy. I decided to go eat breakfast with my family and then would decide based on how I was feeling. At breakfast I took my antibiotic and Tylenol. As the Tylenol kicked in, I quickly began to feel better. At that time I decided to go with everyone for the morning and then would come back to the hotel for the afternoon to rest. And if it was ever too much I knew the van would be close by and I could go in and rest.

Breakfast buffets in China are quite the assortment of food from eggs and bacon to rice and congee to pastries and it seems everything in between.

Our guide for the day, Lydia, was the same guide we had in Beijing that last time we were here. We had requested her but weren't sure if we were going to get to see her. It was so good to see her!! We learned that since we last saw her, the strict one child policy was raised and she had her second baby girl by the end of 2013. We were so excited for her! So now she has a 12 year old and an 18 month old daughter. Lydia's 12 year was in school for the day still as their summer break didn't start until the beginning of July. Lydia's mom was at home caring for her youngest daughter. I wish we would have asked if her mom lived with them, but we assumed she did.

Our morning tour started with an hour plus drive to The Great Wall. The long drive was nice though so that we had time to visit with Lydia. She explained things to us about the Chinese culture and in particular some rules in Beijing. One of the policies she told us about was how they reduced the number of people driving during the week to get to work. Every day of the week there are 2 digits which are not allowed to drive. So for instance if your tag number was L55566 and the digits for the day were 6 and 8, you would not be allowed to drive because your tag number ended in one of those numbers. We asked how this affected people who had to get to work but Lydia explained that no one really complained because the public transportation systems were really developed in Beijing which still allowed you to get to anywhere you needed to go. The other policy that we thought was really interesting was “ownership of property”. There are mostly apartment buildings in the city so we asked if there were any single family homes which people owned. Lydia first said yes but as she explained the ownership of this property it was not what we think of ownership in the United States. The government owns everything. So you can pay for a long term lease, 60-70 years, and if you can't pay for it all at once then you take out a loan from a bank and for it like a mortgage. But for our understanding that is not ownership because the government still owns the land and the apartment. Once the length of the lease is up it goes right back to the Government to re-lease the apartment again.

Our first stop of the day was at The Great Wall. It was raining when we got there so we were glad that our kind van driver let us borrow umbrellas while we were out exploring. Using the restrooms at The Great Wall was our first experience with squatty potties as well as no provided toilet paper and soap to wash your hands. We had prepared for this and luckily had toilet paper from the hotel and hand sanitizer. I don't know how many times while we were in the restroom I told Ava, “don't touch anything!!” She did great actually but when we went to use the restroom again before we left she began crying and eventually said that she did not like those bathrooms because they were dirty and stinky! I couldn't argue with that! LOL!

The Great Wall is just amazing. It spans 4000 miles and took 2000 years to make. I can't even understand those numbers! Ava was intent on climbing the stairs as far as she could. Since it was raining, this made the already difficult to climb stairs, slippery. So we all took it nice and slow. The stairs are so steep and uneven. Some of the steps are short and some of them seemed to be as big as Ava. No matter, they didn't seem to slow Ava down too much! We climbed to the second tower before turning back around. We didn't want to take Ava farther and I knew I was pushing my luck as it was. Ava seemed to love The Great Wall and I was so glad to be able to experience it with her.

After The Great Wall it was time for lunch. We stopped at the Jade Factory (the same one was had stopped at during our last trip) for lunch and a tour. I still didn't have much appetite by this time but everyone else really enjoyed the family style food. Lydia took care of ordering everything and when she realized that Ava wasn't eating much she also ordered her french fries with ketchup. Ava and the adults enjoyed them!! We took a short tour of the Jade Factory after we ate lunch. The artists working that day were demonstrating how they carved the Happy Family Ball. This is a ball in which they carve details onto the outside but the coolest part is all the different layers which create more balls inside of each other. After the tour, we shopped. My mom had requested that if possible I picked up a Jade pendant for Ella. She had bought one for Ava when she came with us last time and she really wanted to have one to give to Ella as well. Ava's zodiac symbol is a rabbit and Ella's is a snake. This is very cultural thing for China, and we love that! We also bought a Happy Family Ball as well as a horse carved from Jade which Ava picked out. These will be some great souvenirs from China.

At this time, I knew my body was done and I didn't want to push my luck so the van dropped me off at the hotel so that I could take a nap while the rest of the crew went to the Forbidden City. I was glad that I did head back to the hotel because I slept for about 3 hours while they were out. It sounded like the rest of the group enjoyed the Forbidden City. It's hard to imagine the history there since the United States is basically a baby compared to the length of history in China. It was also reported that Ava did great again this day and was a trooper throughout all the tours and walked most of the day except for the last little bit.
Once they got back to the hotel, they were hungry so we headed out to get some supper. We went to a restaurant called the Macau Kitchen. My appetite was finally coming back so I ate a decent amount and it tasted so good!! They had spaghetti and meat sauce on the menu so we ordered that for Ava. Ava was so tired by this time that I had to fight with her to keep her awake until she ate some dinner. Once she did start ending she got a little bit of a second wind that helped her make it til bedtime.

We went to the Night Market after dinner. What an experience!! This is just a place to observe, not to eat for us Westerners. They serve things like fried snake, spiders, squid, and pretty much every other gross thing possible. Who would eat that?!! Everything was raw on trays until you purchased it and then they would fry it up for you. Yuck!! Even the locals seemed to think this market was some sort of challenge.

Our last adventure of the day was to head to the market to purchase some snacks for our train ride the next day. We bought large bottles of water as well as some nuts and crackers. Along with the food we brought with us we figured that would get us through the day.

Then it was bed time. We were exhausted!!





No comments:

Post a Comment