Monday, October 25, 2010

Remembering Mexico

I had the most amazing opportunity placed in front of me to go to Amealco, Mexico with my original church family in Kansas. It is so fun for me to look back now and see how God clearly had His hands on this trip and directed His will in every way. 

It all started when I was meeting with several friends and we were talking about what joy really means. We discovered that true joy comes when you listen and obey the desires God places in your heart~ those things that give you butterflies whenever you think about it.  For me, I instantly knew what we were talking about. For several years, I have gotten those butterflies whenever I think of missions and in particular medical missions.  The next several weeks were spent searching the internet for possible opportunities and not having a lot of luck. One night I was talking with my dad about my search and frustrations, when all of the sudden he said, "Well you could go with me and the church to Mexico this summer.  Some of the doctors are planning to work medical clinics while there." Well alright then!! I bet God had a good laugh that day! I was searching everywhere I could think of to discover where He would have me and there it was~spoken from my dad.  I love the way God orchestrates His will.  Never in my wildest dreams could I have thought of a better way~ missions in Mexico, with my original church family, AND alongside my dad!!  I knew immediately that this was God's will for me.   

The plan for the trip included 4 doctors and 2 nurses who would serve with medical missions and the rest of the team would help to build a house for missionaries who work a Christian camp around Amealco. Well, shortly before we left I found out that we were having trouble getting our medical visas.  We all knew that we were still going, regardless of whether we ended up doing medical missions or not~ God had a bigger plan that needed attended to. As God would have it, we did not end up getting to do any medical missions while we were there.  But not doing the medical missions allowed me to participate in other activies.  The mornings were often spent around the camp helping to paint the missionaries home, helping to get their home ready to live in, and preparing food for our hard working team.  The afternoons offered the privilege to go with one of the missionaries to bible studies, which were held in locals' houses.  We were always welcomed right in and offered something to eat and drink.  I was immediately overcome with their willingness to share and give even though they had very little to start with.    

Through many experiences in Mexico, God revealed to me a little more of who He is.  You see, through this journey, I have often had to remind myself that He is in control.  Control is such a hard thing for me to give over to God. And something that I have to make a decision on daily and sometimes more than once a day. It's hard for me to understand why I think that my way would obviously be better, when He has shown me time and time again that His way is perfect. But even though I know that, I still struggle.  In Mexico, God showed me that He is much bigger than I frequently give Him credit for.  I have a tendency to want to hang on to my situations because I feel that they are far too big for God to handle.  I put God in a box that I can understand.  But He showed me that He is God in Omaha and He is still God in Mexico.  It was so eye-opening for me to be worshipping and serving alongside Mexicans...serving the same God I serve in Omaha.  God is big enough to cover the US and Mexico. He is able to understand the different languages of the world and He is certainly able to take care of me, my current family, and my future family.  He spoke to me to say, "Megan, I am so much bigger than you think I am."  

I could go on and on about my experiences in Mexico, but I will spare you from that :).  God changed my heart while I was in Mexico this summer.  It was such an amazing trip that I actually struggled coming back to my real-life. I had a friend refer to it as reverse culture shock. I look forward to the next time I get pulled out of my comfort zone. 

Have a wonderful day! 

1 comment: