Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Holt International

We have had the opportunity to learn about some amazing adoption agencies. Early in the process we were hearing horror stories about how agencies take advantage of you.  And it scared me to death!  I'm sure there are some out there, so you absolutely have to be careful, but I have changed my heart about adoption agencies.  Every one that we have looked into, visited with, and interviewed have all had the baby (first and for most), the birth family, and the adoptive family's best interest at heart.  I want to take a little time to share with you some of the agencies we are considering. 

We had to opportunity to listen to a webinar hosted by Holt International in early September.  We have several friends who have used this agency for adoption and are raving fans!  They headquarter out of Oregon, but have offices all over the country.  They work with about 15 oversea countries for adoptions.  What impressed me most about Holt was the value and emphasis they place on family preservation.  They first look to see if they can be helpful in any way to keep the family in the birth home.  When that is not an option, they look towards adoption within the birth child's home country.  As a last resort they choose to persue international adoption.  I know you may be saying, why would that be the best thing??  Hearing that their mission is child and family preservation gave me faith that they are serious about what they are doing--it isn't a money thing.  It really is all about what is best for the baby. 

The webinar lasted about 2 hours and we were able to follow along on a powerpoint and ask questions as we went along.  They reviewed some of the countries they work with and what each country's regulations and standards are.  Most of the countries require several trips to the birth country for legal paperwork and you often get to meet your child at that time as well.  :) 

Initially, Matt and I were not interested in international adoption.  I think it was more out of fear that then everyone knows they are not your "real" child.  As time has gone on, God has really softened our hearts towards international adoption.  The fact is, if people want to talk they are going to talk.  And I have far better things to do than to worry about what everyone is thinking!!  Matt and I are very adventurous and would love the opportunity to travel to another country so that we can instill a since of our child's culture into their's and our life. 

Some of the reasons why we are hesitant to just jump in with international adoption include cost and often times the baby is at least 6 months old and often times closer to 2 years old.  Again, not a reason to count international adoption out, but things we are considering.

We have also spent time interviewing Child Saving Institute and we have one more meeting set up with Nebraska Children's Home on Nov 13th.

It's exciting to be at this point and to be making some decisions, albeit, some seem very small but still decisions!  Every little decision seems like a step in the right direction. 

megan   

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for helping me understand Megan! I've always had questions but sometimes I didn't know what to ask! I love the information! I can't wait to hear what you find out from NE Children's Home. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete