Monday, December 17, 2012

So Many Questions

Last Friday 12/14/12, our nation and the nation of China were shocked by news of attacks on children.  In Connecticut, a young man first killed his mother at home and then went to an elementary school where he killed 20 children and 5 more adults before taking his own life.  On that same day in Chenpeng, China a man entered a primary school stabbing and injuring 22 children.  I have shed lots of tears over the last couple days trying to understand "why ?".  This can be such a sad world.  I have been through a realm of emotions; anger, sadness, but most of all a sense of inadequacy to keep my baby girl safe.  It seems as if you can't go anywhere and feel completely safe.  Now, it's not like things have changed overnight however there is a different sort of fear now that I have a baby girl to think about with a duty to keep her safe.  

It's easy after news like this to think, "I'm never going to let Ava leave the house!!!"  I will never understand why these men made the decisions they made.  So much of the news has now begun talking about gun control, the effects of violent video games, the lack of mental health care in our society...  I have views about all these issues but what I believe is a key issue that seems to be overlooked is the fact that children, ALL children, need parents in their lives who love them up unconditionally, everyday.  Children need parents at home, at school functions, at sporting events, who read books to them nightly, play with them daily, hug and kiss them hourly, and say "I love you" at least on a daily basis.  Children need to know that they are valued, that they are a blessing, that they are loved.  


There are so many beautiful things/places in this world that Matt and I can't wait to share with Ava and explore with her.  There's no way "we're never leaving the house".  There's a great big world out there with amazing people to meet and God's beautiful artwork to observe.  I don't know the answers yet on how we will keep Ava safe in this crazy world.  But what I do know is that Matt and I will love Ava wholeheartedly and we don't have keep her safe alone.  We have family, friends, and biggest of all a God who is all-knowing on our side.  I refuse to walk around scared all the time.  I will walk in faith that God will protect us and give us the right instincts to protect Ava when we need it.  And if the worst should happen, we'll rest assured that this world is not the end.  We will be together forever in Heaven where there is no guns, killers, or violence.  I will rest on God's words and trust in His almighty protection.   


Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Corinthians 13:7


Leave your orphans; I will protect their lives. Your widows too can trust in me.  Jeremiah 49:11    


For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.  2 Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment